Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sourdough English Muffins

In January, I took a bread making class at bread and cup. The class fee included some sourdough starter. Since January, I've done an awful job of keeping my sourdough starter alive. I thought I killed it a couple of weeks ago, so I reluctantly asked for a refill and they obliged.

This week, after refreshing my starter to make some bread, I used the leftover starter (that I would've otherwise thrown away) to make Sourdough English Muffins.

I also used the same refreshed starter to make sourdough baguette and boule. Recipe after the jump.

Sourdough English Muffins
(yields 6 muffins)

1/4 cup starter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp sugar
3/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Cornmeal, for dusting

1) The night before: Combine starter, milk and flour. Mix until thoroughly combined. Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter to ferment for at least 8 hour or overnight.

2) After the overnight rest, add sugar, salt and baking soda and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 4-5 minutes. Roll to 3/4" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter (I used a floured water glass.) Place muffins on piece of parchment dusted with cornmeal and let rest for 45 minutes.

3) Spray griddle, skillet, or cast iron pan with spray oil or cooking spray. Heat to medium and cook muffins for 6-8 minutes on each side or until golden brown on the top and bottom and cooked through. Watch the heat, as these burn easily.

4) Split with a fork and enjoy your favorite topping!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The bread & muffins look good! Maybe you should become a chef or baker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexis,

    Thanks for stopping by y At The Very Yeast blog. My BBA cooking schedule will vary according to the whims of the family. I just leave the book out now, and the household can put in their request. For instance, the other day, they requested the English Muffins for breakfast. I bake "normal" breads etc about 3 times a week. For instance, this weekend I will do some hot dog and hamburger buns, and may do a little fun trick with hot dogs if I have the time. So they will not "qualify" for BBA. When I get some free time, I do a lot of experimenting on original recipes. I will try and post a (new) honey wheat bread experiment today or tomorrow.

    We don't buy store breads anymore. Due to some time constraints at this time, not all of my goods can make it to the blog at this time ;-)

    I have sort of ditched the "n order" concept of BBA because I don't want to be making Stollen in February ;-) Makes the most sense for us from both a time and economic point of view.

    ReplyDelete